How to make a dog vomit?

+71 votes
asked Apr 29, 2015 in Pets & Animals by GreggMonte7 (260 points)
My dog accidentally ingested some chocolate, we have tried to make him vomit all to no avail, please how can we induce vomit in a dog? We really need your help!!

3 Answers

+12 votes
answered Jun 9, 2015 by LeiaMmf1172 (370 points)

Two common products can help you induce vomiting in a dog at home. They are 3% hydrogen peroxide and good quality table salt. The basic rule for using peroxide is by orally administering 1tbs (5mls) for each 10 pounds. Do this for about 20 minutes until you get the dog to vomit. With cats, more care is required to prevent the peroxide from entering the lungs and causing foaming, and consequently pneumonia.

Two major points to keep in mind:

  • As hydrogen peroxide will flatten and lose its ability to induce vomiting, make sure an unopened container within the date of expiration is always kept handy.
  • Some dogs vomit as soon as the peroxide is administered so it is important to always administer the peroxide in an easy to clean area or outside the house.

Though hydrogen peroxide is the favorite substance when it comes to inducing vomiting, but applying some pure table salts at the far end of the animal's throat will also deliver the required results.

You can also watch the video below:

+8 votes
answered Sep 30, 2015 by tawny (880 points)

Dogs have always been scavengers, and they always look for food in the dirtiest of environments and eat things that can make them fall sick easily. If it is a case of your dog eating something that can make him sick, do the following:

  1. Measure out 1ml of 3 percent of the hydrogen peroxide for every pound of the dog weight. Use either a teaspoon or a syringe. Each teaspoon is roughly 5ml, even when the dog weighs more than 45 pounds.
  2. Squeeze the measured hydrogen peroxide towards the extreme end of the animal's mouth using either the turkey baster or syringe.

However, you should not try to induce vomiting in your dog is some circumstances. These conditions are:

  • When the dog have started throwing up: If the animal is already vomiting, there is no need trying to make him vomit more, because it can lead to an unhealthy vomiting response.
  • If the animal is too weak to stand on his own or has lost every trace of consciousness: In this case, don't try to induce vomiting because it can lead to the inhalation of the vomit into the lungs.
  • If the animal swallowed some bleach, petroleum distillate, or a drain cleaner: These substances can lead to burning during swallowing, and more burns during vomiting. If what your pet swallowed is caustic, don't try to make him vomit.
  • If the toxic substance was swallowed over two hours ago: Any substance that finds its way into the small intestine of your pet remains there. Inducing vomiting in your pet after he had swallowed a toxic substance won't clear the toxins from him completely.

If vomiting failed to occur after 15 minutes or thereabout, apply another measured dose of the hydrogen peroxide following the procedure described above. If after the second attempt vomiting still doesn't happen, get in touch with your veterinarian or put a call through to the animal poison emergency center for professional instructions:

  1. Collect a sample if some kind of leak-proof container as soon as the vomiting ceases. Take this to the veterinarian's office to enable him carry out proper examinations to identify what the dog ate if you are not sure.
  2. Clean up the vomit thoroughly. While handling your pet's vomit, make sure you wear rubber and latex gloves, especially if you suspect the presence of a substance that might be injurious to your health.
  3. Take the dog to your veterinarian or animal poison control clinic, unless the veterinarian instructs otherwise. Take your pet to a vet center for quick examination and necessary treatments.
+6 votes
answered Jul 30, 2015 by TerraSteffan (270 points)
I now know how to make a dog vomit, after my pet accidentally swallowed a very large pork bone. My vet advised that we give her 4 tablespoons of hydrogen peroxide. It worked like magic. I just thought it wise to let everyone know about this technique in case of any emergency.
Welcome to Instant Answer, where you can ask questions and receive answers from other members of the community.
...